With reluctance, I use a 100 point scale. There are many variants in the markets, but here is my spin.
There are tastings where I am rushed, and while scores may not be provided, some guidance may appear. Where there is intensity and complexity, some latitude in scoring is given. Impressions are more important than scores!
- 96-100. Super wines, world class
- 95 Equivalent to a top gold medal or trophy in an Australian wine show
- 94 Gold medal standard
- 90-93 Silver medal standard
- 86-89 Bronze medal standard
- 80-85 No significant faults, but no excitement either
- < 80 Faults- why bother?
+ indicates that improvement lies ahead
= indicates the wine is ready to drink (and may endure)